Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
Makesabout 1-1/2 dozen
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1-1/2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Beat first 5 ingredients. Combine dry ingredients; gradually add to egg mixture and blend well. Stir in zucchini.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 20-25 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.
- For frosting, combine brown sugar, butter and milk in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Cool to lukewarm.
- Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until frosting reaches spreading consistency. Frost cupcakes.
Nutrition Facts1 cupcake: 327 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 305mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Jul 31, 2019
I have been making these zucchini cupcakes since the recipe first came out in 1997, and it remains my favorite to this day. I make it exactly as written - it is perfect!
Jun 24, 2019
I have an amazing zucchini muffin recipe that I have been using for decades. But I wanted to branch out. I was glad I did! I liked the almond extract and the caramel frosting is terrific. The texture is amazing too, a nice not too dense, but thick enough consistency. Cinnamon and cloves are just right and not overwhelming.
Jan 19, 2019
Really enjoy these cupcakes. The caramel frosting is such a great combination with the almond and spice flavor of the cake.
Jul 31, 2018
Great flavor. Made 23
May 14, 2018
May 13, 2018
These cupcakes were great
Apr 9, 2018
I made these last summer when zucchini was in adbundance. Did make one change - used lemon juice and zest instead of the orange juice. Lot of leftover frosting - but why am I complaining? Delicious.
Dec 23, 2017
Made these for Christmas! I love these!!! The icing is super easy and comes right out of the pan without sticking to it at all. I put it in a ziplock bag and cut off the corner and wala! Perfect!
Jul 17, 2017
These cupcakes are absolutely delicious! We always have so much zucchini in the summer, this is a keeper, I made the recipe as stated, just doubled it, and still feel like there aren't enough to go around. :)
Dec 3, 2016
> I totally loved these cute cupcakes... but I turned them n2 holiday breads - I used the zucchini, crushed pineapple, raisins & either chopped walnuts or pecans (salted) - WOW - they were so good - I made 35 and all of them got sold at the Christmas craft festival this year! I will make these again... both as cupcakes and breads!