Orange Zucchini Muffins
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Squeeze zucchini until dry; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the flour, 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, brown sugar, oil, orange juice, orange zest and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in raisins and reserved zucchini.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Combine sugar and remaining nutmeg; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 230 calories, 9g fat (1g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 165mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 2, 2015
Great use of zucchini! Family loved them
Apr 14, 2015
Excellent. My picky 6 year old asks me to make these all the time. Great use for all that summer zucchini. I omit the raisins out of personal preference and often sub white whole wheat flour for a portion of the flour.
Aug 11, 2014
I loved these muffins. The hint of nutmeg was just right. I love nuts, so added half a cup of pecans. This one will be saved in my recipe file!
Aug 21, 2013
These muffins are super light and delicious! The only thing I would omit the next time I make them is the sugar/nutmeg sprinkles on the top. It doesn't do much for the muffins and I think it would be much better without it. Otherwise this is a wonderful recipe. Will definitely be making it again!
Feb 20, 2012
These were so good! The house smelled fabulous as these were baking and my four year old and husband couldn't wait to eat them. I substitued 1/2 chopped pecans for the currants and the flavors blended nicely with the orange and nutmeg. LOVE these!
Jan 12, 2011
We love these muffins! We're not fans of raisins, though, so I omit them or add in chopped pecans instead. I also usually sub half of the plain flour for whole wheat flour.