Chocolate & Peppermint Ice Cream Roll
Here's an extra-special treat from the freezer. Peppermint ice cream rolled into a homemade chocolate cake gives dinner a refreshing finale. —Jill Evely, Wilmore, Kentucky
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 10 min. + freezing
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons baking cocoa, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups peppermint or vanilla ice cream, softened if necessary
- Confectioners' sugar
- Red Hots
- Place egg whites in large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375°. Line bottom of a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan with parchment paper; grease paper. Sift flour, 1/4 cup cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt together twice.
- In another large bowl, beat egg yolks until slightly thickened. Gradually add 1/4 cup sugar, beating on high speed until thick and lemon-colored. Beat in water, oil and vanilla. Fold in flour mixture (batter will be thick).
- With clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until soft glossy peaks form. Fold a fourth of the whites into batter, then fold in remaining whites. Transfer to prepared pan, spreading evenly.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Cool 5 minutes. Invert onto a tea towel dusted with remaining cocoa. Gently peel off paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Unroll cake; spread ice cream over cake to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again, without towel. Place on a platter, seam side down. Freeze, covered, at least 2 hours or until firm; trim ends.
- Arrange holly leaf cardboard cutouts on cake roll; sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Carefully remove cutouts; top with Red Hots for berries.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 214 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 90mg cholesterol, 100mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Mom's Chocolate Ice Cream Roll in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.