Cherry-Coconut Chocolate Torte
This torte reminds me of two favorite treats: chocolate covered cherries and old-fashioned Cherry Mash candy bars. —Dian Hicks Carlson, Omaha, Nebraska
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min. + chilling
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- CHERRY LAYER:
- 4 jars (10 ounces each) maraschino cherries
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- COCONUT LAYER:
- 1 package (14 ounces) sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- CHOCOLATE GANACHE:
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, beat sugar, eggs and vanilla until blended. Beat in melted butter. In a small bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, salt and baking powder; gradually add to batter and mix well.
- Spread into a greased 9-in. springform pan. Bake 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Drain cherries, reserving 1/2 cup juice. Arrange cherries evenly around top edge of brownie; place remaining cherries over top. In a large bowl, beat confectioners' sugar, butter and reserved cherry juice until creamy. Spread evenly over cherries.
- In a large bowl, combine coconut and milk. Sprinkle over cherry layer, carefully smoothing down near edges and pressing gently to form an even layer.
- Place chocolate in a large bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour over chocolate. Let stand 5 minutes; whisk until smooth. Pour over coconut layer. Refrigerate until set. Loosen sides of pan with a knife. Remove rim from pan. Sprinkle with walnuts.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Originally published as Cherry Coconut Bomb in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.