Chocolate Hazelnut Torte
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup brewed coffee, room temperature
- 7 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 cup Nutella
- Chocolate curls and hazelnuts, optional
- In a small bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream and coffee. Beat just until combined.
- Pour into two greased and floured 6-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small saucepan, melt chocolate with cream and sugar over low heat; stir until smooth. Remove from the heat; whisk in Nutella. Transfer to a small bowl; cover and refrigerate until frosting reaches spreading consistency, stirring occasionally.
- Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Garnish with chocolate curls and hazelnuts if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 768 calories, 45g fat (25g saturated fat), 130mg cholesterol, 386mg sodium, 89g carbohydrate (66g sugars, 4g fiber), 9g protein.
Apr 26, 2018
This recipe is perfect for a small gathering, because there are no leftovers to be tempted by. The cake is so rich and delicious that a little slice goes a long way, so you still could feed 8 with it at a small dinner party. I will definitely make again, but I will halve the ganache topping next time. I saved mine for another use, because there is just too much.
Nov 2, 2011
Eexcellent moist cake. Pretty much the same as my original chocolate cake so family loved it.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.