Strawberry Hazelnut Torte
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 4 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, divided
- Dash salt
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup ground hazelnuts
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2-1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- Additional fresh strawberries, halved
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Trace two 8-in. circles 1/2 in. apart on the paper; set aside.
- Add vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and salt to egg whites; beat until soft peaks form. Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Spread over paper circles. Sprinkle with hazelnuts; cut through meringues with a knife to swirl nuts.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until the meringue and nuts are lightly browned. Cool on baking sheet. When completely cool, remove meringues from paper; store in an airtight container. In a microwave, melt chocolate and shortening; stir until smooth. Cool to room temperature.
- To assemble, place one meringue, flat side down, on a serving plate; spread with half of the melted chocolate. In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar and remaining vanilla; beat until stiff peaks form. Spread half over chocolate layer. Arrange sliced strawberries over whipped cream.
- Spread flat side of remaining meringue with melted chocolate. Place chocolate side down over strawberries; spread with remaining whipped cream. Refrigerate for up to 4 hours before serving. Garnish with halved strawberries.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 247 calories, 14g fat (8g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 42mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jun 13, 2012
A terrific dessert for 'gluten free' guests. It will also be a wonderful treat for friends and family who enjoy meringues. Read the 'reviews' in-order-to pick up any necessary tricks. Follow every step in the directions - to avoid any errors. Very nice treat!
Feb 14, 2010
This is an impressive dessert that looks fantastic and tastes incredible. I and several members of my family are gluten intolerant and this torte makes a great birthday "cake".I suggest following the recipe exactly. The first time I made it, I tried to cut corners by folding the hazelnuts into the meringue before forming it into circles. That did not work out. I thought it might me something else I did wrong, and so I folded them in again on the second try. WRONG!!! It only worked on the third try, in which I followed the directions. Huh. This is a keeper!