Mocha Hazelnut Torte
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large Eggland's Best eggs
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled slightly
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup Nutella
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of two greased 9-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in melted chocolate and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, espresso powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Transfer batter to prepared pans. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat butter and Nutella until blended. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and enough milk to reach desired consistency.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1 cup frosting. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup hazelnuts. Top with remaining cake layer. Frost top and sides with remaining frosting. Sprinkle with remaining hazelnuts.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 639 calories, 32g fat (16g saturated fat), 94mg cholesterol, 311mg sodium, 88g carbohydrate (69g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 29, 2018
I made this according to the recipe for a family birthday. My family really liked the mocha flavor of the cake. I rated it 4 because they said it was a little dry and heavy, but with ice cream it wasn't bad. They absolutely loved the hazelnut buttercream, a keeper for any cake, and it went really well with this cake.
Feb 4, 2016
Its pretty nice I would like to make that cake