Toffee-Mocha Cream Torte
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + cooling Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1 teaspoon hot water
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 6 Heath candy bars (1.4 ounces each), crushed, divided
- Preheat oven to 350° . In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Dissolve coffee in water; stir into batter.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake 16-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For topping, dissolve coffee in water in a large bowl; cool. Add cream and brown sugar. Beat until stiff peaks form. Place bottom cake layer on a serving plate; top with 1-1/3 cups of topping. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of crushed candy bars. Repeat layers twice. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 487 calories, 28g fat (17g saturated fat), 113mg cholesterol, 403mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Jun 26, 2017
A wonderful balace of flavors!! Will make again!!
Jan 12, 2016
I made this when my kids were 5 and6 years old. I lost the recipe and thought they forgot about it. Then one day my 18 year old daughter ask me mom can you find the recipe for the toffee cake that you made a long time ago? Well I found it and it has been added to every holiday, birthday for them both. I even had to make it for my daughters wedding cake. So I guess you can say it is a very big hit in my family.
Aug 15, 2014
I had to use my own gluten free chocolate cake recipe, so I can't actually comment on that part, but this is scrumptious! It had everyone swooning. I used a bit more instant coffee because we like a stronger coffee flavor. I also spread the topping on the sides so more toffee bits could be stuck on. Super fantastic.
Mar 4, 2011
I've been making this cake for several years now and always get compliments on it. I sometimes use a German Chocolate Cake recipe for the cake portion, and use toffee bits and mini chocolate chips in place of the Heath candy bars. I also substitute powdered cocoa (about 2 teaspoons) for the coffee granules in the topping, as I don't care for the taste of coffee. I guess that makes it more of a Chocolate Toffee Cream cake...but people always ask for more!
Feb 19, 2011
The day I tried this recipe I swore that this was the most delicious cake I had ever tasted. It was moist, chocolaty, and the topping was not too sweet. I need to try this recipe at least once. It will surely become one of your favorite to serve your family.
Sep 27, 2010
Definitely one of my favorites!!
Sep 4, 2010
This is about the best cake I've ever had. Worth the time and expense.
Apr 12, 2010
I use the Heath Bar chunks that come in a bag like chocolate chips. This is one of my favorite recipes....better than delicious!
Dec 24, 2009
I love this cake! My sister would make it for me on request and I was so happy when I found it on here! It's simple and different and oh so tasty.
Dec 26, 2008
yes, the 1/2 tsp coffee and the 1 tsp water goes into the heavy cream. I also like to prepare this as a trifle. Pour batter into a large 1"+ deep bar pan to make a thin sheet cake and cube the cake when cool. layer the cake cubes, whipped cream, and toffee bits in a clear trifle bowl. It's very pretty and easier to serve.