Strawberries & Cream Torte
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup plus 1/2 teaspoon sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Additional fresh strawberries
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of two greased 8-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, beating well. Beat in vanilla.
- In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Transfer to prepared pans.
- With clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until foamy. Add remaining sugar, beating on high until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until soft peaks form. Spread over batter in pans.
- Bake 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pans on wire racks. (Cake layers will be thin.)
- In a large bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form. Loosen edges of cakes from pans with a knife. Carefully remove one cake to a serving plate, meringue side up.
- Arrange sliced strawberries over top; sprinkle with sugar. Gently spread with half of the whipped cream. Top with remaining cake layer, meringue side up; spread with remaining whipped cream. Top with whole strawberries. Refrigerate until serving.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 267 calories, 20g fat (12g saturated fat), 100mg cholesterol, 158mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Jul 9, 2019
Love strawberries-will try to get it from a good cake shop-looks yummy and tasty-rich though anyway.thanks
Sep 22, 2017
Jul 6, 2017
I thought this great, a really light dessert. I substituted whipping cream with Cool Whip cutting out the extra dirty dishes and the complaints that the whipped cream wasn't sweet enough. I'll definitely make again.
May 16, 2016
Agree with comment that cream topping needs sugar. All that work and no flavor to it. We adjusted by sprinkling a lot more sugar on the strawberries and still enjoyed it. Also this does not feed 12; hard pressed to get 10 small slices.
May 8, 2016
So disappointed in this recipe. Cake with meringue top was good but the cream was so bland that it overpowered the flavor of the cake. I triple checked the recipe and thought there must be a mistake not adding sugar to whipping cream to sweeten. Without sugar in cream the cake just lacked flavor.
Apr 3, 2016
Made for a family picnic. Reminded me of my late Grandma's strawberry shortcake. Delicious!
Mar 27, 2016
Made for Easter dinner. Lovely and tasty! A winner all around. Layered both cake layers with sliced slightly sweetened strawberries.
Apr 6, 2015
I made this for Easter dessert yesterday and it was delicious! Everyone loved it. I used a few more strawberries and made 2 layers of strawberries on the cakes instead of putting strawberries on the top of the cake. It made a beautiful dessert.
May 15, 2014
Made this for my husband's birthday. I cut it in half for just the 2 of us. It was really good.
May 10, 2014
Had to rate before I could submit but I haven't tried it yet, just wondering if I can use 1/2 cup of whole milk instead of 2%?