Strawberry Cream Tarts
Dainty tarts filled with custard and fruit are fantastic for brunch. The recipe comes from our Test Kitchen. For a prettier presentation, remove the foil tins before serving. To do so, invert each shell when cool and carefully remove the foil.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 2 packages (6 count each) individual graham cracker tart shells
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 12 medium strawberries, sliced
- 12 blueberries
- 6 tablespoons strawberry jelly, melted
- Brush insides of tart shells with egg whites. Place on two baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 5 minutes. Cool completely on wire racks.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar and flour; gradually stir in milk until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly; cook and stir for 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot milk mixture into eggs; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Stir in butter and lemon juice. Refrigerate until chilled.
- Just before serving, spoon custard into shells; top with strawberries and blueberries. Spoon jelly over fruit.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 335 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 59mg cholesterol, 250mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Strawberry Cream Tarts in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2002