Lemon Whipped Cream Torte
This recipe features a creamy, refreshing filling in between light layers of moist sponge cake. It's a treat to make for special occasions.—Eilene Bogar, Minier, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 6 egg whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-3/4 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- In a bowl, cream butter, shortening and 1 cup sugar. Add lemon zest and vanilla; mix well. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, mixing well after each addition; set aside.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold into the creamed mixture. Pour into three greased and waxed paper-lined 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, combine sugar and flour in a saucepan. Gradually add milk; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Gradually stir a little of the hot filling into the yolks; return all to the pan. Bring to a gentle boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Stir in lemon juice, vanilla and zest. Cover and cool. Fold in the cream. Spread between each layer and on top of cake. Cover and chill.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 277 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 185mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 0 fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Lemon Whipped Cream Torte in Taste of Home August/September 1995
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.