Mamaw Emily’s Strawberry Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3 ounces) strawberry gelatin
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup finely chopped strawberries
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup crushed strawberries
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line the bottoms of two greased 8-in. round baking pans with parchment; grease parchment.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, gelatin, sugar and flour. Add water, oil and eggs; beat on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium 2 minutes. Fold in chopped strawberries. Transfer to prepared pans.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 25-30 minutes. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat butter until creamy. Beat in crushed strawberries. Gradually beat in enough confectioners’ sugar to reach desired consistency. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 532 calories, 21g fat (7g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 340mg sodium, 85g carbohydrate (69g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Feb 10, 2020
Excelllent recipe - recipe was created to sell jello. it comes from a Jello cookbook. My family has been making this cake since the 60s. So it belongs to Jello.
Feb 5, 2020
I have made this 3 times to share with daughter and her family. It is absolutely incredible. We actually love to eat the cake slightly warm. Something about that with that amazing frosting just puts it over the edge for us. Love, love, love
Jan 11, 2020
I have actually had this recipe for years. We called it "Strawberry Party Cake"! Absolutely amazing. Super easy and NEVER any left overs! LOVE IT! Usually put it in a 13"X9" pan. Easier to transport!
Dec 5, 2019
Made this for my little girls birthday...it was amazing! I’m not a huge cake fan or a good baker, but this turned out super moist and delicious. Everyone loved.
Oct 29, 2019
I made this cake according to the recipe - no change! It was a HUGE hit for a family birthday - everyone loved it!
Aug 7, 2019
Very easy and tasty cake. Served for a family picnic, and it was the first desert that was gone! Will make again. NOTE: it was very hot at our picnic, and the buttercream frosting didn't hold up well, and rolled down the cake. Next time I serve for a summer picnic, I will adjust the frosting... however the frosting tasted wonderful.
Aug 5, 2019
Can this cake be frozen?
Aug 1, 2019
Jul 28, 2019
Make this and it’s so delicious. Thank you for the recipe! It’s easy to remember because I have a g daughter Emily.
Jul 27, 2019
I made it in a 9x13 pan easy to bake and take