Mamaw Emily’s Strawberry Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3 ounces) strawberry gelatin
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup finely chopped strawberries
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup crushed strawberries
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line the bottoms of two greased 8-in. round baking pans with parchment; grease parchment.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, gelatin, sugar and flour. Add water, oil and eggs; beat on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium 2 minutes. Fold in chopped strawberries. Transfer to prepared pans.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 25-30 minutes. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat butter until creamy. Beat in crushed strawberries. Gradually beat in enough confectioners’ sugar to reach desired consistency. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 532 calories, 21g fat (7g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 340mg sodium, 85g carbohydrate (69g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 12, 2018
This is an amazing cake! And so easy to put together!
Jun 14, 2018
Great recipe. I made this cake just like the recipe says and it came out perfect. By the way I am a guy. I have been cooking for over 40 years and still use recipes more like a road map to just put me on the right track. I followed this to the letter. It was great.
May 26, 2018
I'm definitely in the minority on with this rating but I used 8 inch cake pans and had about a cup of overflow onto the bottom of my oven. The rim of the pan was also covered with batter which made removal from the pan difficult. Followed the instructions exactly and didn't change a thing. Think I'll cut back on the amount of strawberries in the frosting to avoid a runny frosting. It's for my grand daughter's birthday and I'm hoping the frosting covers up the messy cake.
May 13, 2018
Uber moist and full of strawberry goodness- My mom loved it!!!!
May 6, 2018
I recently made this cake for the first time for my adult son's birthday dinner and the whole family liked it very much so we decided this recipe is a keeper. It was very moist and tasty.
Apr 6, 2018
Made it for my daughters 40th birthday. I was in a hurry and used box directions for cake and then checked the recipe. Wanted to scream so added a little more oil. I added a little cream cheese to the frosting, made it richer. I'm sorry. hope it doesn't make it null and void for my comments. My family raved all evening about how good it was. Having fresh strawberries in cake and frosting added so much flavor. Can't wait to make it again. It was so good and I made a 9x13 so had left over frosting. Told my daughter to freeze it for cupcakes later for the kids. I will make it again and again. A wonderful cake, thanks for sharing.
Mar 31, 2018
Mar 20, 2018
Love it making another one keep up the good work thank you
Feb 15, 2018
I made this cake for Valentine's Day for my co-workers and it was scrumptious. It was like having almost like ice cream it was so delicious and I chilled it and they liked it even more because it was a cold treat. I did not do the buttercream frosting I did the whipped cream version with the strawberries but it was amazing. you especially have to pay attention to cooling the cakes down before you frost it with that version. I topped it with strawberries and it just looked amazing.
Feb 10, 2018
I really liked this recipe! i brought for a church potluck and there were no leftovers. I decorated the top with candy hearts. I loved the fresh berries in the frosting and cake, really added something special. I did not think too sweet. I made frosting as listed and softened (not melted) butter and the texture was great. I did put in frig after making until I served, maybe that was the trick? Will make again!