Mamaw Emily’s Strawberry Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3 ounces) strawberry gelatin
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup finely chopped strawberries
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup crushed strawberries
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line the bottoms of two greased 8-in. round baking pans with parchment; grease parchment.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, gelatin, sugar and flour. Add water, oil and eggs; beat on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium 2 minutes. Fold in chopped strawberries. Transfer to prepared pans.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 25-30 minutes. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat butter until creamy. Beat in crushed strawberries. Gradually beat in enough confectioners’ sugar to reach desired consistency. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 532 calories, 21g fat (7g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 340mg sodium, 85g carbohydrate (69g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Aug 7, 2019
Very easy and tasty cake. Served for a family picnic, and it was the first desert that was gone! Will make again. NOTE: it was very hot at our picnic, and the buttercream frosting didn't hold up well, and rolled down the cake. Next time I serve for a summer picnic, I will adjust the frosting... however the frosting tasted wonderful.
Aug 5, 2019
Can this cake be frozen?
Aug 1, 2019
Jul 28, 2019
Make this and it’s so delicious. Thank you for the recipe! It’s easy to remember because I have a g daughter Emily.
Jul 27, 2019
I made it in a 9x13 pan easy to bake and take
Jul 27, 2019
For those having trouble with the cake not baking properly it's probably due to the fact that boxed cake mixes have gotten smaller since this recipe was first published in 2013. Try reducing the water by a quarter cup or the strawberries by a quarter cup. Some experimenting may be needed to get the proper ratio.
Jul 27, 2019
I made my own white cake (not fond of mixes) and followed the remainder of the recipe. Very good, make anything w/strawberries
Jul 27, 2019
I have been looking for a strawberry cake recipe similar to the one my mother used to make to no avail. Mamaw must be the right age as this recipe is spot on. Ha loads of real strawberry flavor. My family went nuts for it. They said it was even better than the best bakery in town.
Jul 12, 2019
Absolutely delicious and definitely nostalgic. I made this last night and it came out perfect! I followed the recipe exactly without any issues. I used two round Nonstick pans. It's a pretty cake as well as tasty! It's a recipe my mother (R.I P. 9-2018) made and was requested often at family gatherings. I thought of her with many fond memories while making it. Looks like I'll be carrying on the tradition now.
Jun 28, 2019
First time I made this I had similar problems as others have had. Made it in 2 8" round cake pans-I had a hard time getting it baked all the way -had to keep adding extra time. The icing was not as thick as I would've liked but didn't want to make it too sweet by adding more powdered sugar. This time I baked in 3 8" pans and bake time was 18 min at 350 degrees. Used the recommended 2 oz of cream cheese and drained the pureed strawberries for icing-PERFECTION! Either was the cake is absolutely delicious! Kept in the refrigerator as a cool dessert with this hot summer heat. This is will definitely be in my recipe book for life!