Strawberry-Chocolate Meringue Torte
I make this rich and delicious torte whenever I'm asked to bring dessert to any occasion. Use reduced-calorie whipped topping to create a lighter version. —Christine McCullough, Auburn, Massachusetts
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 70 min. + cooling
- 4 large egg whites
- 3 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine strawberries and 1 teaspoon sugar. In another bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until soft peaks form. Refrigerate strawberries and whipped cream, covered, until assembly.
- Preheat oven to 250°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Trace two 8-in. circles 1 in. apart on paper; set aside. Add cream of tartar and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form. Spread evenly over circles.
- Bake until set and dry, 70-80 minutes. Turn off oven (do not open oven door); leave meringues in oven 1-1/2 hours. Remove from oven; cool completely.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Spread evenly over tops of meringues. Carefully remove one meringue to a serving plate. Remove whipped cream from refrigerator; beat until stiff peaks form. Spread half of the whipped cream over the meringue; top with half of the strawberries. Repeat layers. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 470 calories, 26g fat (16g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 154mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (54g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Strawberry-Chocolate Meringue Torte in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.