Strawberry-Chocolate Meringue Torte
I make this rich and delicious torte whenever I'm asked to bring dessert to any occasion. Use reduced-calorie whipped topping to create a lighter version. —Christine McCullough, Auburn, Massachusetts
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 70 min. + cooling
- 4 large egg whites
- 3 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine strawberries and 1 teaspoon sugar. In another bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until soft peaks form. Refrigerate strawberries and whipped cream, covered, until assembly.
- Preheat oven to 250°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Trace two 8-in. circles 1 in. apart on paper; set aside. Add cream of tartar and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form. Spread evenly over circles.
- Bake until set and dry, 70-80 minutes. Turn off oven (do not open oven door); leave meringues in oven 1-1/2 hours. Remove from oven; cool completely.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Spread evenly over tops of meringues. Carefully remove one meringue to a serving plate. Remove whipped cream from refrigerator; beat until stiff peaks form. Spread half of the whipped cream over the meringue; top with half of the strawberries. Repeat layers. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 470 calories, 26g fat (16g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 154mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (54g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Strawberry-Chocolate Meringue Torte in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2016