Strawberry Custard Torte
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen sweetened sliced strawberries, thawed and drained
- Sliced fresh strawberries and mint leaves, optional
- Prepare and bake cake according to package directions, using two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt; gradually stir in milk until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in butter and vanilla. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- Place half of the whipped topping in a large bowl; add strawberries. Cut each cake horizontally into two layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; spread with half of the strawberry mixture. Top with a second cake layer; spread with custard. Top with a third cake layer; spread with remaining strawberry mixture. Top with remaining cake layer and whipped topping. Refrigerate overnight. Garnish with strawberries and mint if desired.
Mar 29, 2016
My frozen strawberries came in a 16 oz. container so I used almost all of the whipped topping for the filling and then topped it with sweetened whipped cream. Great recipe. Definitely a keeper!
Jun 2, 2014
This was very simple and DELICIOUS!
Jan 16, 2013
I love this recipe I use the filling in other recipe as well, but when I make this one I use white cake it so lite.
May 7, 2010
I've been making this for several years now. It makes a very impressive presentation and tastes fantastic! The first time I made it, my brother-in-law ate 5 pieces in one afternoon! It's definitely a keeper!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.