Very Chocolate Torte with Raspberry Cream
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 20 min. + cooling
- 2 packages chocolate cake mix
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- RASPBERRY FILLING:
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup red raspberry preserves
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon raspberry liqueur
- 2 ounces white baking chocolate, chopped
- Chocolate curls and fresh raspberries
- Prepare and bake cake mixes according to package directions, using four 9-in. round baking pans.
- For frosting, in a small heavy saucepan, melt chocolate chips and butter over low heat; stir until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl; cool 5 minutes. Stir in sour cream. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth.
- For filling, in a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add preserves, sugar and liqueur; beat until stiff peaks form.
- Save one cake layer for another use. Using a long serrated knife, cut each remaining cake layer horizontally in half. Place one layer on a serving plate; spread with about 1/3 cup filling. Top with another cake layer; spread with 1/2 cup frosting. Repeat layers. Top with another cake layer, remaining filling and remaining cake layer. Frost top and sides of cake with remaining frosting.
- Melt white chocolate in a microwave; stir until smooth. Place mixture in a resealable plastic bag; cut a small hole in a corner of bag. Pipe over top of cake as desired. Refrigerate until serving. Just before serving, top with chocolate curls and raspberries.
Nov 2, 2019
I found this recipe to be absolutely wonderful. I did have some issues with the liqueur causing the cream to break. So I put about twice as much in the frosting and wound up just folding the preserves into the fully whipped cream. And instead of chocolate shavings I put Ghirardelli chocolate raspberry squares on the cake and sprinkled the raspberries around those. My husband could not stop raving about how this was the best cake I had ever made.
Jan 12, 2015
I'm going to make this for my best friend's BD next fall. Few things are better than chocolate, raspberries and friends. :)
Jan 4, 2015
This is beautiful and delicious. I made it for my ladies club at Christmas and was a big hit!