Very Chocolate Torte with Raspberry Cream
Here's a way to take a simple cake mix and make it look spectacular! The filling and frosting are really quite easy to make so there's no reason to shy away from this dessert. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 20 min. + cooling
- 2 packages chocolate cake mix
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- RASPBERRY FILLING:
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup red raspberry preserves
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon raspberry liqueur
- 2 ounces white baking chocolate, chopped
- Chocolate curls and fresh raspberries
- Prepare and bake cake mixes according to package directions, using four 9-in. round baking pans.
- For frosting, in a small heavy saucepan, melt chocolate chips and butter over low heat; stir until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl; cool 5 minutes. Stir in sour cream. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth.
- For filling, in a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add preserves, sugar and liqueur; beat until stiff peaks form.
- Save one cake layer for another use. Using a long serrated knife, cut each remaining cake layer horizontally in half. Place one layer on a serving plate; spread with about 1/3 cup filling. Top with another cake layer; spread with 1/2 cup frosting. Repeat layers. Top with another cake layer, remaining filling and remaining cake layer. Frost top and sides of cake with remaining frosting.
- Melt white chocolate in a microwave; stir until smooth. Place mixture in a resealable plastic bag; cut a small hole in a corner of bag. Pipe over top of cake as desired. Refrigerate until serving. Just before serving, top with chocolate curls and raspberries.
Editor's Note: The drizzle for this recipe was tested with Ghirardelli white chocolate.
Originally published as Best Chocolate Raspberry Torte in Taste of Home Cake Mix RTL 2014
Jan 12, 2015
I'm going to make this for my best friend's BD next fall. Few things are better than chocolate, raspberries and friends. :)
Jan 4, 2015
This is beautiful and delicious. I made it for my ladies club at Christmas and was a big hit!