Double Chocolate Torte
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 40 min. + chilling
- 1 package fudge brownie mix (13-inch x 9-inch pan size)
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips, melted
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups whipped topping
- 1 teaspoon chocolate sprinkles
- Prepare brownie mix according to package directions for fudge-like brownies. Spread batter in a greased and floured 9-in. round baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 38-42 minutes or until center springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 10 minutes. Invert onto a serving plate; cool completely.
- In a bowl, stir the chocolate and butter until smooth. Spread over brownie layer; refrigerate for 30 minutes. Just before serving, top with whipped topping. Decorate with sprinkle.
Jun 10, 2011
I have been making this recipe since it appeared in the May/June 1998 issue of Quick Cooking. I have cut it back to use only 6 Tbsp of butter with the 1 cup of chocolate chips and it is still more than enough.As the recipe states, bake until the middle springs back; I will add do not judge by sticking a toothpick in the middle. If you wait until a toothpick comes out clean, it will be too dry. You want it to be fudgey, and the toothpick will still be a little gooey at that point.This is super easy, looks great, and tastes decadent. Try this one!
Dec 30, 2010
Nov 26, 2010
I was skeptical that the recipe would taste original and homemade with so few ingredients, but it was delicious!! It looks gorgeous when you serve it and it tastes great. I took the other reviewer's suggestion to cut the butter in half - a great idea as the chocolate still spreads easily and it cuts out umpteen grams of fat. Thanks TOH!
Aug 13, 2009
Pompilia,as a suggestion, spray cake pan with cooking spray and the cut out a circle of parchment paper or waxed paper to fit in the bottom of your cake pan. Just slide a knife around the sides and it should come out clean as a whistle.
Feb 22, 2008
We found that the frosting tasted like butter and like it much better when the butter was cut in half. I used just one cube of butter and one cup of chocolate chips. Other than that, it is delicious!
Dec 28, 2007
We use a springform pan because it's hard to get out of normal cake pan, even with grease and flour. We make this often. It's so simple yet it looks so elegant. Definitely a favorite.