Black Forest Chocolate Torte
Total TimePrep: 1 hour Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 4 large Eggland's Best eggs, room temperature
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- CHOCOLATE FILLING:
- 6 ounces German sweet chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- WHIPPED CREAM:
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup cherry pie filling
- 1-1/2 cups sliced almonds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of 4 greased 9-in. round baking pans with parchment; grease paper.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in water just until blended.
- In a microwave, melt unsweetened chocolate; stir until smooth. Stir in vanilla. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with chocolate mixture, beating after each addition. Divide batter among prepared pans.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 15-20 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- For chocolate filling, melt chocolate in a microwave; stir until smooth. Stir in butter until blended. Stir in almonds.
- For whipped cream, in a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar and vanilla; beat until soft peaks form.
- To assemble, place 1 cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1/3 cup chocolate filling and 1 cup whipped cream. Repeat layers twice. Top with the remaining cake and chocolate filling.
- Spread remaining whipped cream over sides of cake. Press almonds onto sides. Spoon pie filling over top of cake. Refrigerate until serving.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 596 calories, 41g fat (22g saturated fat), 124mg cholesterol, 210mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 3g fiber), 8g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 12, 2019
Made this several years ago in a 13 by 9 pan. It was fabulous!
May 26, 2018
Do not ever even think of calling this stack of stuff a Black Forest cake. It is so far from a cake made in the German Black Forest I wonder just what it is. There would never be cherry pie filling on top of real whipped cream icing on a chocolate cake made in Germany. I have seen bakeries that call a chocolate cake with every kind of cherry placed on top called a Black Forest cake. How much do you pay someone to force them to eat this conglomeration of junk?
Nov 21, 2011
I made this as an entry to a work sponsered bake-off and won! The ladies I work with LOVED this cake and have been begging me to make it again. My husband insisted that I make 2 next time, one for them and one for him!
Apr 6, 2011
I can not believe this only has 1 3/4 cup offlour and it makes three four layers , isthis right?
Mar 20, 2010
I made this for my boyfriend's birthday, and everyone loved it. I was skeptical because I'm not a cherry lover, but the combo with the rich chocolate layers was decadent!
Oct 22, 2009
I made this torte for a friend's birthday and he shared it with the people at his work and they all loved it, It is also great to made for Christmas.