Strawberry Custard Pies
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + chilling
Makes6 pies (8 servings each)
- 4-1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 4-1/2 cups cold water
- 3 packages (3 ounces each) strawberry gelatin
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 6 packages (3 ounces each) cook-and-serve vanilla pudding mix
- 6 pastry shells (9 inches), baked
- 3 pounds fresh strawberries, halved
- Whipped cream, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; gradually stir in water until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in gelatin and lemon juice until gelatin is dissolved. Cool to room temperature.
- Prepare pudding mixes according to package directions. Pour into pastry shells. Top with strawberries. Carefully spoon gelatin mixture over berries. Refrigerate until set. Garnish with whipped cream if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 304 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 202mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 15, 2016
The title is.................."25 Potluck Desserts to Feed A Crowd" I reduced it to 1 pie to see if it was good enough to take to Church "To Feed Crowd" It is !! Yummy!!
Jul 4, 2015
Jek0099--the category is dishes for a potluck, not dishes for "a crowd".
Nov 25, 2014
"Interesting to note that people are asking for this recipe to be cut down to 1 pie when it's posted under recipes to feed a crowd.It seems quiet appropriate to me to list the recipe for 6 pies.
Aug 9, 2013
I made this pie with scratch custard the rest of the recipe made it perfect thanks for sharing.
Nov 23, 2011
seriously good pie
Aug 29, 2011
I've made it twice, a hit both times. Had to do my arithmetic to scale down the recipe, but it was great.
May 24, 2011
I made one pie using the measurements listed in one of the reviews. I didn't care for the pudding in this recipe. I was hoping for more of a custard taste...maybe I would like it better w/ a creamcheese-type base.
May 23, 2011
For Mothers Day, I made the full recipe for 6 pies. Wish I had made more. After giving to my 2 moms, I gave to 2 helpful neighbors and left 2 at home. Well each pie for home lasted a day each. Wish I had made more! :) Everyone loved these and my neighbor came over the other day and asked for the recipe. She ran to the store, came back to my house and we made 6 more!
May 16, 2011
Though not the best strawberry pie I've ever eaten, this was tasty.
May 6, 2011
Also it is great for bake sales!!!