Strawberry Banana Pie
With its sugar-cone crust and layers of bananas and strawberry ice cream, this pretty pie never seems to last long...especially when our grandchildren visit. It's a favorite year-round, but we really enjoy it in summer, when fresh strawberries are plentiful.
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + freezing
- 1 package (5-1/4 ounces) ice cream sugar cones, crushed
- 1/4 cup ground pecans
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream, softened
- 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 large firm bananas, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 cups strawberry ice cream, softened
- 1 pint fresh strawberries
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- In a large bowl, combine the crushed ice cream cones, pecans and butter. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 10-in. pie plate. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- In another large bowl, combine vanilla ice cream and mashed bananas. Spread over the crust; cover and freeze for 30 minutes.
- Arrange sliced bananas over ice cream; cover and freeze for 30 minutes.
- Top with strawberry ice cream; cover and freeze for about 45 minutes.
- Hull and halve strawberries; place around edge of pie. Mound or pipe whipped topping in center of pie. Cover and freeze for up to 1 month. Remove from the freezer about 30 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 349 calories, 17g fat (11g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 147mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Strawberry Banana Pie in Quick Cooking November/December 2003