Strawberry Apple Pie
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 3-1/2 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 1-1/4 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Whipped topping, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the apples and strawberries; drizzle with lemon juice. Combine sugar and flour; sprinkle over fruit and toss lightly.
- Line a 9-in. pie place with bottom pastry; trim even with edge of plate. Add filling. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in top. Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over pastry. Cover edges loosely with foil.
- Bake at 450° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; remove foil and bake 35-40 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Garnish with whipped topping if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 336 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 200mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 10, 2019
A really delicious pie! I only used half the amount of sugar since the fruit is already sweet and it was perfect. Instead of cinnamon and sugar for the topping, I gave a generous shake over the top of Penzey's new Pie Spice. I will definitely make this pie again!
Feb 12, 2019
This was quite delicious with adjustments. Used about 1 3/4 cups strawberries and 4 1/2 cups apples. Added cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves in with the sugar and flour mixture. Also added about 1 teaspoon of orange zest for some oomph. Dotted about 1 tablespoon of chopped cold butter on the apple/strawberry mixture before putting the top crust on. Followed another reviewer’s comments and used an egg wash, as well as lowering the temperature to 375 rather than 350.
Jul 22, 2016
I really did not care for this at all. Just didn't like the cooked strawberries. Unfortunately, the best part was the crust and I will not be making this again.
Feb 13, 2013
it was very easy to make and it was twice as good
Apr 14, 2010
This was a very average recipe. I've never eaten a pie with cooked strawberries, and I found the cooked strawberry flavor was a little off in this recipe. I used a standard 9 inch Pyrex pie plate and used almost twice the apples and about 50% more strawberries. The cooking time was wrong. I baked it for 20 min. instead of 10 at 450, then lowered it to 350. I should have only lowered it to 375 as most recipes call for. If you choose to make this recipe, DEFINITELY use an egg wash over the crust!