Apple Crumble Pie
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 50 min.
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 5 cups chopped peeled tart apples (about 5 medium)
- Preheat oven to 400°. On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Refrigerate while preparing topping and filling.
- For topping, in a small bowl, mix sugar and flour; cut in butter until crumbly. For filling, in a large bowl, mix sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add apples and toss to coat. Transfer to pastry-lined pie plate. Sprinkle with topping.
- Bake 10 minutes. Reduce oven setting to 375°. Bake 40-45 minutes or until topping is browned and apples are tender. Cover edge loosely with foil during the last 15 minutes if needed to prevent overbrowning. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 353 calories, 19g fat (12g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 197mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Jan 11, 2018
Jan 8, 2018
Jan 3, 2018
This is a very good recipe! I enjoyed making and eating this pie. The only things I changed were to add some cinnamon and chopped nuts to the topping, as I prefer a spicier pie with the texture contrast that the added ingredients provide.
Dec 19, 2015
This pie was really good. At first I thought the nutmeg was a bit much as I was making it, and I was skeptical of using regular white sugar (instead of brown sugar) for the topping--but it turned out superb.
Nov 26, 2015
not sure why some folks had a problem with the topping , it worked great for me. I used a food processor for a short cut to make the crumbs, and you have to be sure to bake long enough, I think it was closer to 60 min for me. If you do not bake long enough the topping will not crisp up. My son-in-law informed me he is not that crazy for pie, but when I made this for Thanksgiving-he had two pieces. The topping was crisp and sugary. The filling not too sweet. I could have added one more Tbl flour as my apples were juicy- but I would give this pie and excellent rating.
Nov 3, 2015
Did not like the topping! I prefer brown sugar topping mixture..
Oct 18, 2015
Sep 29, 2015
Even though I have my own crumble recipe, I thought I would give this a try as I prefer no oats in my topping. I find the topping ratios flawed - knew it wasn't right as I was measuring out the topping ingredients. 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup flour and 1/2 cup butter does not yield a CRUMBLY mix. Rather what I got was a very wet & sticky buttery dough/paste. Have to agree with dory1126 here. Definitely won't make again.
Jul 30, 2015
this was an awesome pie recipe! It was easy and yummy!
Jul 25, 2015
This is great quick apple pie recipe, that's a must-know for those that love apple pie. It goes together in no time and makes a nice change from a traditional double crust pie. I served it to a group of friends who raved about it's flavor. Personally, I'll cut back on the nutmeg the next time because it's not my favorite spice, but otherwise, I thought it was great. A tip for novice cooks: chop the apples in relatively small pieces of the same size to make sure they cook evenly.