Maine Blueberry Pie with Crumb Topping
I make this delicious fruit pie with small Maine berries, but you can use any variety you like. The shortbread topping adds a sweet crunch. — Jessie Grearson, Falmouth, Maine
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie crust
- 6 cups fresh or frozen wild blueberries
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest, optional
- 1 tablespoon butter, cubed
- 12 shortbread cookies
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking oats
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash salt
- Whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 400°. Unroll pie crust into a 9-in. cast-iron skillet or deep-dish pie plate; flute edges.
- In a large bowl, combine the blueberries, sugar, flour, cinnamon and, if desired, thyme and lemon zest; toss gently. Spoon into crust; dot with butter.
- In a food processor, cover and process cookies until coarsely chopped. Add remaining topping ingredients; process until crumbly. Sprinkle over berry mixture.
- Bake until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly, 45-55 minutes. Cover edges with foil during the last 15 minutes if necessary to prevent overbrowning. Cool on a wire rack. If desired, serve with whipped cream.
Test Kitchen tip