Apple Rhubarb Crumb Pie
My family and friends always ask for my apple rhubarb pie for birthdays and get-togethers. Everyone loves the unique flavor that the rhubarb adds to this pie. —Sherri Moon, Decatur, Indiana.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 1 refrigerated pie pastry
- 5 cups thinly sliced peeled Fuji apples (about 5 medium)
- 2 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb (1/2 inch thick), thawed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 375°. Unroll pastry sheet into a 9-in. pie plate; flute edge. Refrigerate while preparing filling and topping.
- In a large bowl, combine apples and rhubarb. In a small bowl, mix sugar, flour and cinnamon; add to apple mixture and toss to coat. In a small bowl, mix the first five topping ingredients; cut in butter until crumbly. Transfer filling to crust; sprinkle with topping.
- Bake 50-60 minutes or until topping is lightly browned and filling is bubbly. Cover edge loosely with foil during the last 20 minutes if needed to prevent overbrowning. Remove foil. Cool on a wire rack.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 297 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 161mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Apple Rhubarb Crumb Pie in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.