Crumb-Topped Macaroni and Cheese
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake 15 min.
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups shredded Gruyere cheese or Swiss cheese
- 1 carton (8 ounces) mascarpone cheese
- 4-1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a 6-qt. stockpot, cook macaroni according to package directions for al dente; drain and return to pot.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, heat 1/4 cup butter and pepper flakes over medium heat until butter is melted. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in Gruyere, mascarpone, mustard, salt and pepper until blended. Add sauce to macaroni, tossing to combine. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Melt remaining butter. Add panko and Italian seasoning; toss to coat. Sprinkle over macaroni. Bake, uncovered, until topping is golden brown, 10-15 minutes.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 473 calories, 36g fat (21g saturated fat), 102mg cholesterol, 487mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 16g protein.
Oct 1, 2019
8/14/2019 I made this recipe-I used LESS shredded Swiss cheese: (1-1/2 cups); kept the 8-oz. amount of Mascarpone cheese as is. I did not have whole milk available, but used a combination of half and half cream and 2% milk to equal 1-1/2 cups milk and since I did not have red pepper flakes, I used 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper. This was a delicious dish!
Mar 12, 2019
So yummy! Made recipe exact, used the swiss cheese instead of gruyere. I am not a big fan of swiss cheese. But I think the combo of the smooth mascarpone with the swiss was a nice creamy blend. I nice grown-up kick with the crushed red pepper flakes. Thanks Jennifer!