Crumb-Topped Macaroni and Cheese
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake 15 min.
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups shredded Gruyere cheese or Swiss cheese
- 1 carton (8 ounces) mascarpone cheese
- 4-1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a 6-qt. stockpot, cook macaroni according to package directions for al dente; drain and return to pot.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, heat 1/4 cup butter and pepper flakes over medium heat until butter is melted. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in Gruyere, mascarpone, mustard, salt and pepper until blended. Add sauce to macaroni, tossing to combine. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Melt remaining butter. Add panko and Italian seasoning; toss to coat. Sprinkle over macaroni. Bake, uncovered, until topping is golden brown, 10-15 minutes.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 473 calories, 36g fat (21g saturated fat), 102mg cholesterol, 487mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 16g protein.
Jan 11, 2020
This was good, but just did not "wow" me. I used cavatappi pasta instead of the elbow macaroni. After I cooked 2 cups and added it to the sauce it just seemed like it was too soupy, so I cooked one more cup of pasta and that seemed to be covered better.
Oct 1, 2019
8/14/2019 I made this recipe-I used LESS shredded Swiss cheese: (1-1/2 cups); kept the 8-oz. amount of Mascarpone cheese as is. I did not have whole milk available, but used a combination of half and half cream and 2% milk to equal 1-1/2 cups milk and since I did not have red pepper flakes, I used 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper. This was a delicious dish!
Mar 12, 2019
So yummy! Made recipe exact, used the swiss cheese instead of gruyere. I am not a big fan of swiss cheese. But I think the combo of the smooth mascarpone with the swiss was a nice creamy blend. I nice grown-up kick with the crushed red pepper flakes. Thanks Jennifer!