Saucy Mac & Cheese
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 cups cavatappi or spiral pasta
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/3 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 3/4 pound process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat. Add bread crumbs; cook and stir until golden brown. Remove to a small bowl and set aside.
- In the same skillet, melt remaining butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk; bring to a boil. Cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat. Stir in process cheese until melted.
- Drain pasta; add to cheese mixture. Cook and stir until heated through, 3-4 minutes. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and bread crumbs.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 661 calories, 36g fat (21g saturated fat), 121mg cholesterol, 1267mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 2g fiber), 27g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 9, 2013
I put the cheddar cheese in the sauce instead of as a garnish, but it was still really really yummy. I disagree with the person saying it's more expensive than the boxed version because of the amount per serving differance. So yummy!
Jan 28, 2013
This is the best Mac & cheese recipe I've found. It remains creamy even after frozen and reheated.
May 25, 2012
Delicious recipe very simple and fast to make
Mar 14, 2012
My family (and my teenage children's friends) all LOVE this recipe! In our home, it is much more cost effective to make this than to purchase a small box of prepared Veleeta mac & cheese, and so much smoother! It is a request when the basketball team shows up, as well as my daughter's friends. Thanks for the great recipe!
Jan 30, 2011
Tastes just like the Velveeta Mac and Cheese you buy in a box... but takes alot more work and costs more money. The fried panko bread crumbs were a very good addition. It was pretty good but we will not be making it again.
Jan 19, 2011
Our entire family loved this recipe. It's our favorite homemade mac and cheese recipe ever. We will definitely be making this again....and again.