Strawberry/Rhubarb Crumb Pie
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 pound rhubarb rib, cut into 1/2-inch pieces, or sliced frozen rhubarb (about 3 cups)
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, halved
- 1 unbaked pie shell (9 inches)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking or old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- In a large bowl, beat egg. Beat in the sugar, flour and vanilla until well blended. Gently stir in rhubarb and strawberries. Pour into pastry shell.
- For topping, in a small bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar and oats; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over fruit.
- Bake at 400° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake for 35 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 468 calories, 20g fat (10g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 232mg sodium, 70g carbohydrate (42g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
May 12, 2018
I’ve made this pie at least 4 times and I love it. It always seems to turn out with the perfect amount of moisture/thickness. It tastes great and I don’t even have to make a crust. Great for a beginning pie maker.
Apr 10, 2017
I also wish that I had read the reviews. Pie looked beautiful but when sliced open reviled strawberry rhubarb soup. Flavor was good but the crust became soggy as the pie cooled. Very disappointed, as this is now destined to become raccoon food out in the brambles. Waste of time and cost of ingredients.
Aug 2, 2016
Took this to a picnic last weekend and everyone loved it!
Jul 18, 2016
This pie was excellent! After reading the reviews, I did make a few changes. I cut the sugar to 3/4 cup and added 2 tsp. of cornstarch and 1 Tblsp. of lemon juice. I baked for 53 minutes. The pie was perfect; not too sweet or too tart! I I refrigerated after cooled and did not experience a problem with being too wet.
Jun 24, 2016
I made this pie following the recipe with no changes and it was excellent. You need to let it set up in the fridge before serving otherwise like some folks said, it will get soupy. It's FANTASTIC!!! I have no intentions to add cornstarch or flour. Love the recipe as is!
Jun 6, 2016
This pie was ridiculously wet, I could pour liquid out then after letting it sit it was still floating. I even added the cornstarch as other people reccomended. I don't know what I did wrong but two years I've made this , the wetness was embarrassing and a waste of ingredients.
Apr 24, 2016
This was SO delicious!! This will be my 'go to' for a rhubarb recipe! It was a little runny but we didn't care since it was so tasty but maybe I'll try a little cornstarch next time or maybe a little more flour? Either way you can't go wrong with the taste! Loved it!!!
Jul 16, 2015
Made per the recipe and I wish I had read the reviews first. This does need some cornstarch. I will add it next time as I will definitely be making this again!
Jun 28, 2015
Very soupy. Need to put some cornstarch in it the next time.
Jun 28, 2015
Made it with cornstarch in the filling and loved it!!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.