Creamy Apple Crumb Pie
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 6 cups diced peeled tart apples (about 6 medium)
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- Line a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate or cast iron skillet with pastry; flute edges. In a large bowl, combine the sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and allspice. Fold in the apples. Combine sour cream and vanilla; stir into apple mixture. Spoon into pastry shell.
- For topping, combine the flour, brown sugar and cinnamon in a bowl; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over filling.
- Bake at 400° for 25 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 25-30 minutes longer or until filling is bubbly and topping is golden. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 299 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 126mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 fat, 1 fruit.
Nov 14, 2016
Great recipe! I wanted to try a new recipe different from original. This was a greatChange.
Nov 24, 2013
Very tasty pie. We had it after Thanksgiving dinner. Yum!
Oct 10, 2010
I have made this pie several times & am about to make it again for our Thanksgiving dinner. We prefer pies without a top crust so we can savour the filling & this pie is excellent for that! I usually use macintosh apples when I can get them fresh & tart, because they break down perfectly when cooked. Cortland hold their shape too well for my liking & take much longer to cook, as do granny smith
Feb 24, 2009
My pie actually came out nice and moist. I don't like my pies to be really googy.
Oct 12, 2008
I found this pie to be dry. Too many apples for amount of sour cream. I used granny smith apples. I also used 3 tsp. of butter to make the crumbs 2 tsp. not enough for amount of dry ingredents.All in all not a bad pie especially because its not too sweet.Tse