Apple-Cherry Cream Cheese Pie
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 6 to 8 tablespoons ice water
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 9 cups thinly sliced peeled McIntosh apples (about 11 medium)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) pitted tart cherries, drained
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Gradually add ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 425°. For filling, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese, 1/4 cup sugar and vanilla until blended. In a large bowl, toss apples with flour, pie spice, salt and remaining sugar. Stir in cherries.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one half of dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry even with rim.
- Spread cream cheese mixture onto bottom of pastry. Add apple mixture; dot with butter. Roll remaining dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edge. Cut slits in top.
- Bake 45-50 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cover top loosely with foil during the last 10-15 minutes if needed to prevent overbrowning. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate leftovers.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 28, 2015
This pie is the best apple pie I ever made, but do use 1 Tbsp. apple pie spice. and I also mix up my apples, mostly Macintosh w/Yellow Delicious and Cortland. Thank >^^< D