Sour Cream Pumpkin Pie
This is traditional pumpkin pie...with a twist! I like the zesty orange taste of the sour cream topping paired with the pumpkin custard. When I serve this pie, there's never any left, so you might want to make two! —Joan Bingham, Cornwall, Vermont
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 2-1/2 teaspoons grated orange zest, divided
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups sour cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons thawed orange juice concentrate
- Preheat oven to 425°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim crust to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Refrigerate while preparing filling.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, pumpkin, milk, 2 teaspoons orange zest, pie spice and salt until well blended. Pour into pastry. Bake on a lower oven rack 15 minutes. Reduce oven setting to 350°; bake until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 25-30 minutes longer.
- In a small bowl, mix sour cream, sugar, orange juice concentrate and remaining orange zest; spread evenly over filling. Bake until set, about 5 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack; serve or refrigerate within 2 hours.
Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches): Combine 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour and 1/4 tsp. salt; cut in 1/2 cup cold butter until crumbly. Gradually add 3-5 Tbsp. ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.
Originally published as Sour Cream Orange Pumpkin Pie in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2014