Fresh Pumpkin Pie
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 1 medium pie pumpkin
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup 2% milk
- Whipped cream, optional
- Cut pumpkin in half lengthwise; discard seeds. Place cut side down in a microwave-safe dish; add 1 in. of water. Cover and microwave on high for 15-18 minutes or until very tender.
- Meanwhile, roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Set aside.
- Drain pumpkin. When cool enough to handle, scoop out pulp and mash. Set aside 1-3/4 cups (save remaining pumpkin for another use).
- In large bowl, combine the mashed pumpkin, eggs, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, ginger and cloves; beat until smooth. Gradually beat in milk. Pour into crust.
- Bake at 425° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 40-50 minutes longer. Cover edges with foil during the last 30 minutes to prevent over-browning if necessary. Cool on a wire rack. If desired, pipe whipped cream around edge of pie using a star tip. Refrigerate leftovers.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 239 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 289mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.
Oct 9, 2019
Made this recipe a few times- always delicious. I use the slow cooker to cook my pumpkins. So easy. I’m sure he mic is also but I love my slow cooker. The pies are great! I use a blender on the mix to prevent strings and never have a problem. Everyone loves “my” pumpkin pie best!! ;)
Sep 28, 2019
Before I started looking at recipes I assumed that people roasted their pumpkin the day before, drying out the flesh. I grew up on canned filling, with more attention being paid to the crust, so was ignorant to how to prep the flesh when using fresh pumpkin. I’ve been happy with results, but am curious to learn the benefits of steaming or boiling the flesh. I suspect it’s mainly in the effort required.
Nov 10, 2018
For those who found the filling less than firm as you would have expected, the trick is to put the pumpkin in a sieve and let it sit at least overnight in the fridge to lose some of the moisture. It truly makes a world of difference in the texture of your pie. Don't give up on using fresh pumpkin! I usually try to buy a few as soon as they appear in the grocery, and cook/process them and freeze in 1 cup portions so I'm ready to go when I want to bake.
Mar 24, 2018
I have made this pie twice now, using fresh pumpkin. Although everyone loves it and the pie vanishes so quick, I am disappointed with the fact that it comes out so mushy, even when i added extra cooking time the second time. Help!!
Nov 27, 2017
So simple and delicious! Not alot of sugar. Nice amount of spices that don't overpower the pie. Absolutely worth the extra effort. Thank you for sharing.This smells so good cooking in the oven. I didn't use the cloves and didn't miss it.
Oct 16, 2017
I haven't made this exact recipe, but have made very similar ones. To get rid of the strings in the pumpkin, I put all filling ingredients in a blender instead of a bowl, and blend for a bit. Very easy, and no strings!
Nov 17, 2016
This smells fabulous cooking. The flavor is superb! However, even though I mashed the pumpkin, my mom said that I should have run it through a sieve. There were "strings." It was still eaten! By the 3rd day when there was only one piece left, it was very stringy! I don't know what to do about that!
Nov 2, 2015
I made an account just to review this. Five stars all the way. Were it possible, I would rate higher. This was my first time to make a pumpkin pie literally from scratch (though I cheated with buying a premade crust and using whole milk). This pie is phenomenal! I've never had one this good! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. I can't wait to delight during Thanksgiving this year. :)
Dec 13, 2014
I made this recipe b/c of all the great ratings, but I thought it was the worst pumpkin pie I’ve ever had. Feedback from friends was mixed…a couple thought it was bad too, a couple thought it was ok, but no one raved about it. One liked that it wasn't very sweet. Baked it less time b/c the crust was burning, even with foil around it. Pie was a little looser than I would have liked, but didn’t want to keep it in any longer. Can’t believe so many people gave it 5s!
Dec 10, 2014
I was very intimidated by the idea of making a pumpkin from scratch with a fresh picked pumpkin. I was lucky enough to run across this recipe first and it didn't take me very long at all! My husband hates pumpkin pie and he devoured my pie from this recipe! So easy and DELICIOUS! I will be making this pie recipe every year from now on for Thanksgiving!