Friends and neighbors look for these old-time cookies on the goody trays I make for them every holiday. They're great for dunking in milk, and they bring back a nostalgic spicy flavor of Christmases past. —Elizabeth Flatt, Kelso, Washington
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 2 dozen
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Additional sugar
- Cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and molasses. In another bowl, whisk together the next 6 ingredients; gradually beat into creamed mixture, and mix well. Refrigerate, covered, for at least 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Shape tablespoonfuls of dough into balls; roll in additional sugar. Place 2 in. apart on lightly greased baking sheets.
- Bake until edges are lightly browned and tops are set and starting to crack, 8-10 minutes. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 68 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 69mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.