Fresh Pumpkin Soup
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Cook: 8 hours
Makes9 servings (about 2 quarts)
- 8 cups chopped fresh pumpkin (about 3 pounds)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 small tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- TOASTED PUMPKIN SEEDS:
- 1/2 cup fresh pumpkin seeds
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first eight ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until pumpkin and apples are tender.
- Meanwhile, toss pumpkin seeds with oil and salt. Spread onto an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 250° for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown. Set aside.
- Cool soup slightly; process in batches in a blender. Transfer to a large saucepan; heat through. Garnish with toasted pumpkin seeds.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 102 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 567mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit.
Nov 18, 2014
I hate giving a bad review, but I have to agree with others that this soup had the strangest taste. I had enough for two meals so for the first I tried to add some sweetener and cinnamon. It really didn't help much. The next time I tried adding salt and chicken bouillon cubes. We didn't even eat that one. I had to throw it out and I never throw food away. I'm disappointed because I have tasted really good pumpkin soup, but everything I try at home seems to have no taste or a weird taste.
Sep 24, 2013
when I was growing up, my mom made pumpkin soup every fall. she did not add apples, but did make homemade potato dumplings to add to the finished soup. This is very fall
Oct 21, 2012
Was different, I added a little fresh nutmeg on top, which I felt added to it
Nov 14, 2011
My daughter and I love all sorts of soups and always the freshest ingredients, so we were looking forward to eating this. However, we did not like the flavor at all and will not be making it again. We threw it all out.
Feb 9, 2011
My mom and I made this, it really was disgusting, we threw the whole thing away, and we eat about anything, I'd never make this again
Oct 19, 2010
If time is a factor with Fresh; use a pressure cooker to cut the time to about 45 minutes under 15 pounds pressure.Apples too.Blend well and strain for Smooth texture.
Oct 21, 2009
I can't wait to make this soup. What type of pumpkin should I use?
Oct 4, 2009
Thanks for the recipe!!
Feb 20, 2009
We made it with pears instead of apples and it turned out nicely.
Oct 27, 2008
Fantastic soup. Preparation is very time consuming, but once that is done very easy. Soup is lovely and doesn't have the heavy cream base most pumpkin or squash soups contain. My husband loved it!