Slow-Cooker Curried Pumpkin Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 2 medium tomatoes, quartered
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 to 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Pepitas and crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 10 ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 5-1/2 to 6-1/2 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to slow cooker. Stir in milk and cream. Cook on high for 30 minutes or until heated through. If desired, garnish with additional heavy cream, pepitas and crushed red pepper flakes.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 121 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 381mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Oct 10, 2015
This was very easy to make. I didn't use the cayenne pepper, but a little bit of heat may have helped with depth of flavor. I used fat-free half-and-half instead of the heavy whipping cream to cut down on the fat and calories. This is still a very low-calorie recipe. It had more flavor the next day as usually happens when you make soups or stews. I used an immersion blender, too - those things are great!
Nov 4, 2012
Good overall flavor, just a little too spicy for my taste - I used just 2 tsp. curry and would probably leave out the cayenne pepper next time. I also used 2 cups (total)of milk instead of the cream called for. I loved the easy prep - just putting the ingredients in the crockpot and letting it cook until it was time to puree and add the milk. I used an immersion blender instead of a regular blender - worked very well and was less hassle.