Thai food lovers will go crazy for this soup. It has a deep flavor from the combination of onion, coconut milk and spices. —Susan Hein, Burlington, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 25 min.
Makes12 servings (3-1/2 quarts)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 cartons (32 ounces each) chicken stock
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups light coconut milk
- Optional toppings: Sour cream, pepitas and minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat; saute onion and ginger until tender. Add stock, pumpkin and seasonings; whisk until blended. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until flavors are blended, about 15 minutes.
- Puree soup using an immersion blender, or cool slightly and puree soup in batches in a blender; return to pan. Stir in coconut milk; heat through. Serve with toppings as desired.