Creamy Carrot Parsnip Soup
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 40 min.
Makes12 servings (3 quarts)
- 8 cups chopped carrots
- 6 cups chopped peeled parsnips
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon peeled grated horseradish
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 cups buttermilk
- Sour cream
- Fresh dill sprigs, optional
- Place first six ingredients in a 6-qt. stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until vegetables are very tender, 25-30 minutes.
- In a small skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat; saute onion, garlic, horseradish and ginger until onion is tender. Add to carrot mixture. Puree soup using an immersion blender or cool slightly and puree soup in batches in a blender. Stir in buttermilk; heat through (do not boil). Serve with sour cream and, if desired, dill.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 140 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 690mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 6g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Jun 12, 2013
The only things I changed about this recipe was the exchange of water to more chicken broth and buttermilk to half-and-half. I found the soup okay, I think it was the of the horseradish, both fiance and I found it too strong. Next time I make this, I want to leave the horseradish out and add about two cups of cheddar cheese. I'm also going to make sure I do a better job blending this soup.
Oct 17, 2009
This is a really yummy soup. We live in the cold mountains of PA and I am always looking for new soup recipes. Very different, but good. First time I have ever eaten parsnips!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.