Mango & Coconut Chicken Soup
I love preparing dinner in a slow cooker because it's "carefree cooking." This chicken dish uses ingredients that I love, such as coconut milk, edamame and fresh ginger. The Asian-style entree is perfect for a potluck party. —Roxanne Chan, Albany, California
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), skin removed and cut up
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) whole baby corn, drained
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 cup frozen shelled edamame, thawed
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 can (13.66 ounces) light coconut milk
- 1/2 cup mango salsa
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 medium mango, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 green onions, chopped
- In a large skillet, brown chicken in oil in batches. Transfer chicken and drippings to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the corn, spinach, edamame and pepper. In a small bowl, combine the coconut milk, salsa and ginger; pour over vegetables.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken; cool slightly. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones; cut or shred meat into bite-sized pieces. Return meat to slow cooker.
- Just before serving, stir in mango and lime juice. Sprinkle servings with green onions.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 338 calories, 17g fat (6g saturated fat), 73mg cholesterol, 362mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 29g protein.
Originally published as Singapore Slow Cooked Chicken in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2013
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.