Curry Spiced Squash Soup
Total TimePrep: 1 hour 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 4 pounds butternut squash
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 medium apple, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- Cut squash in half; discard seeds. Place squash cut side down in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Add 1/2 in. of hot water to pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40 minutes. Drain water from pan; turn squash cut side up. Bake 20-30 minutes longer or until tender. Cool slightly.
- Carefully scoop out squash into a blender or food processor; cover and process until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and apple in butter until tender. Add the garlic, curry powder and ginger; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in broth and pureed squash. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Add the cream, salt, pepper and cayenne if desired; heat through (do not boil).
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 211 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 568mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 7g fiber), 3g protein.
Nov 6, 2015
Really good! I found that the curry alone was enough zip for me; I omitted the cayenne, but that's just me. I also increased the broth to keep it "soupy." I also swapped out the heavy cream for fat free evaporated milk. So delicious!
Oct 5, 2011
Very flavorful. But I'd really like to know if anyone can tell me what the beautiful place setting is! Gorgeous!
Nov 15, 2010
This is, by far, the best butternut squash soup recipe I have made. But I doubled the chicken broth to make it less of a paste and I didn't peel the apple; left in all that fiber. Made a 1/2 recipe and my family of 2 nearly finished it off! I served it in homemade bread bowls with apple pie for dessert.
Oct 18, 2010
My first time cooking w/ butternut squash - such an easy recipe - and incredibly flavorful. We like spicy food, so added more cayenne when served. Very delicious - and filling! Can't wait for leftovers tonight!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.