Pumpkin Sausage Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes8 servings (3 qt.)
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 carton (32 ounces) unsalted chicken stock
- 1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin
- 1 tablespoon sugar or sugar substitute equivalent
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 2 cups shredded smoked cheddar cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook sausage, mushrooms and onion over medium-high heat until sausage is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, 8-10 minutes, breaking up sausage into crumbles; drain. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add stock, pumpkin, sugar and seasonings. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in cream. In a small bowl, mix water and cornstarch until smooth. Stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Add cheese; cook and stir until melted.
Health tip: Use Italian turkey sausage, half-and-half cream and just one cup of cheese to save about 8g saturated fat.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 371 calories, 27g fat (13g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 782mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 16g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 13, 2018
Better than I expected it to be! Easy and quick to put together and immensely flavorful. I don’t like mushrooms, so I substituted parsnips. Definitely a keeper and will be making us again!
Nov 1, 2018
This turned out good. My husband loved it. I thought I would cut back the cinnamon and nutmeg a bit the next time I make it. I felt it was a bit too strong. I used homemade chicken broth and fresh cooked pumpkin. Nice thick soup.
Oct 28, 2018
I made this according to the recipe, without alterations. I used hot pork sausage. My husband wasn't a fan, but I liked it. It's a thick, hearty, cold-weather soup. The cinnamon is a bit unexpected, but not disagreeable. If I make it again, I'll add a little salt to balance the sweet.
Oct 25, 2018
I thought it tasted fine, but none of my children liked it. I left out the sugar because our brand of sausage is sweet enough already, used 1 tsp fresh minced ginger instead of the powdered because I like the flavor better, and I used sharp cheddar instead of smoked because I don't like the flavor of smoked cheddar. It was really thick and filling. If I make it again, I will add another pint of broth and 3 or 4 diced carrots - sauteed with the onion and sausage - and I might decrease the amount of sausage by 1/4-1/2 pound. I served this soup with biscuits.
Oct 18, 2018
It doesn't list cheese in the ingredients. I assume smoked cheddar. Is it 2 cups shredded?