Pumpkin Sausage Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes8 servings (3 qt.)
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 carton (32 ounces) unsalted chicken stock
- 1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin
- 1 tablespoon sugar or sugar substitute equivalent
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 2 cups shredded smoked cheddar cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook sausage, mushrooms and onion over medium-high heat until sausage is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, 8-10 minutes, breaking up sausage into crumbles; drain. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add stock, pumpkin, sugar and seasonings. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in cream. In a small bowl, mix water and cornstarch until smooth. Stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Add cheese; cook and stir until melted.
Health tip: Use Italian turkey sausage, half-and-half cream and just one cup of cheese to save about 8g saturated fat.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 371 calories, 27g fat (13g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 782mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 16g protein.
Sep 14, 2019
Oh my lord what a delicious soup! Followed recipe exactly except my broth was not salt free and i didn't have cream so i used whole milk. Definitely use the smoked cheese...... so delicious! Will definitely make regularly
Nov 13, 2018
Better than I expected it to be! Easy and quick to put together and immensely flavorful. I don’t like mushrooms, so I substituted parsnips. Definitely a keeper and will be making us again!
Nov 1, 2018
This turned out good. My husband loved it. I thought I would cut back the cinnamon and nutmeg a bit the next time I make it. I felt it was a bit too strong. I used homemade chicken broth and fresh cooked pumpkin. Nice thick soup.
Oct 28, 2018
I made this according to the recipe, without alterations. I used hot pork sausage. My husband wasn't a fan, but I liked it. It's a thick, hearty, cold-weather soup. The cinnamon is a bit unexpected, but not disagreeable. If I make it again, I'll add a little salt to balance the sweet.
Oct 25, 2018
I thought it tasted fine, but none of my children liked it. I left out the sugar because our brand of sausage is sweet enough already, used 1 tsp fresh minced ginger instead of the powdered because I like the flavor better, and I used sharp cheddar instead of smoked because I don't like the flavor of smoked cheddar. It was really thick and filling. If I make it again, I will add another pint of broth and 3 or 4 diced carrots - sauteed with the onion and sausage - and I might decrease the amount of sausage by 1/4-1/2 pound. I served this soup with biscuits.
Oct 18, 2018
It doesn't list cheese in the ingredients. I assume smoked cheddar. Is it 2 cups shredded?