Sausage and Pumpkin Pasta
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 2 cups uncooked multigrain bow tie pasta
- 1/2 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup white wine or additional reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook the sausage, mushrooms and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, pumpkin, wine, sage, salt, garlic powder and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-6 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Drain pasta; add to the skillet and heat through. Just before serving, sprinkle with cheese and parsley.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1-3/4 cups: 348 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 733mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 7g fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Nov 10, 2016
I thought this was a pretty good recipe. Honestly I felt like there could have been a bit MORE of a pumpkin flavor. The sausage I used was pumpkin spice flavored sausage. Instead of cooking the sausage in the pan with the onion, I baked it beforehand. I did omit the mushrooms due to personal preference. I opted to use the white wine and I really think that added a nice extra flavor to the dish. Next time I'll add in some red bell pepper to add some color and I might even throw in a little nutmeg.
Dec 28, 2015
I wasn't overly impressed with this recipe, and my husband wasn't a fan. Not likely to make again
Nov 2, 2014
great recipe, love the mix, may add some half & hlf or cream for a little more richness, but it was a nice meal
Sep 30, 2014
Nice recipe! I found it to be very tasty and I liked the fact that I got my family to eat something they never would have considered. Of course, I didn't tell them there was pumpkin in it. Great way to add more nutrition to everyone's diet.
Aug 2, 2014
No one in my family really liked this recipe. We might just not be "pumpkin in your main dish" people.
Nov 24, 2013
Yummy! I used mild Italian pork sausage instead, as I could not find the turkey sausage and I used regular sodium chicken broth and added 1/2 tsp. sugar to offset the saltiness and make it balanced. Delicious! Great way to use up that leftover pumpkin from the can after I make my Thanksgiving pumpkin pies!! Thanks for sharing!
Oct 22, 2013
Sep 28, 2013
Enjoyable and quick to put together. I used all broth and though it was good I believe the wine would add flavor. I upped the pasta by at least half a cup and used one tablespoon fresh sage finely chopped. The entire dish was gone and my 21 year old son came back for thirds!!!
Feb 19, 2013
This had a really nice flavor and came together very quickly and easily for a healthy weeknight dinner. Definitely a keeper! Great recipe!
Feb 6, 2013
The only thing I changed was to omit the mushrooms, my family doesn't like them. This was fantastic, will put in my rotation. Served with a side of peas and garlic bread. Yum!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.