Sausage Pasta with Vegetables
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 cups uncooked whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1-3/4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) fire-roasted diced tomatoes with garlic, undrained
- 6 ounces fresh baby spinach (about 8 cups)
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, cook pasta according to package directions; drain and return to pot.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook and crumble sausage with mushrooms over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes. Stir in tomatoes; bring to a boil. Stir in spinach until wilted.
- Add to pasta; heat through. Sprinkle with cheese; remove from heat. Let stand, covered, until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 392 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 825mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 8g fiber), 26g protein.
Jul 2, 2013
Mmmm-definitely use the cheese! Omitted the mushrooms & used Trader Joe's Italian Chicken sausage w/red & green peppers with about 10 spinach leaves-fussy hubby. He put sriracha sauce on his.
May 3, 2012
Made with Sweet Italian Turkey sausage but I bet would be tasty with Hot Sausage as well. Very yummy, light and great with a salad.
Apr 18, 2012
Made this tonight using a sweet Italian turkey sausage and my husband and I really enjoyed it very much. Next time we might try using a spicy turkey sausage just to add a bit of kick. We also didn't think the cheese really added much to the dish so will leave out next time. This will be made again and again. Super simple, quick and great flavor!