Sausage and Squash Penne
I love using frozen cooked winter squash because the hard work - peeling, chopping and cooking, is all done for me. — Jennifer Roberts, South Burlington, Vermont
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen cooked winter squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cooked Italian sausage links (4 ounces each), sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Additional grated Parmesan cheese and minced fresh parsley, optional
- Cook pasta and squash according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add sausage and onion; cook and stir until sausage is browned and onion is tender; keep warm.
- In a small bowl, mix the cooked squash, cheese, salt, parsley and pepper until blended. Drain pasta; transfer to a serving plate. Spoon squash mixture over pasta; top with sausage mixture. Sprinkle with additional cheese and parsley.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup pasta with 1/2 cup sausage and 1/4 cup squash: 468 calories, 26g fat (8g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 705mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 19g protein.
Originally published as Spaghetti with Sausage and Winter Squash in Taste of Home August/September 2019
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.