Sausage and Squash Penne
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen cooked winter squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cooked Italian sausage links (4 ounces each), sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Additional grated Parmesan cheese and minced fresh parsley, optional
- Cook pasta and squash according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add sausage and onion; cook and stir until sausage is browned and onion is tender; keep warm.
- In a small bowl, mix the cooked squash, cheese, salt, parsley and pepper until blended. Drain pasta; transfer to a serving plate. Spoon squash mixture over pasta; top with sausage mixture. If desired, sprinkle with additional cheese and parsley.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup pasta with 1/2 cup sausage and 1/4 cup squash: 468 calories, 26g fat (8g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 705mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 19g protein.
Aug 28, 2019
We love this type of meal, and like the last reviewer, I also used fresh summer squash. I thought it needed a sauce, mostly to hold the penne and sausage together, so I added marinara, and that did the trick. I also added some sliced mushrooms, that i cooked with the sausage and onions.
Aug 23, 2019
My husband said "you have me at sausage". I used summer squash instead of packaged winter squash and added 3 Roma tomatoes, which I chopped and sauteed first. The summer squash last and allowed it to simmer to cook down the water. I think this recipe would hold up to any squash.