Penne with Veggies and Black Beans
Chock-full of zucchini, tomatoes, sweet pepper and carrots, this hearty pasta dish puts your garden harvest to good use. For variety, I sometimes add one-half cup of salsa or one-half cup of thickened teriyaki sauce, writes Vickie Spoerle of Indianapolis, Indiana.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 3/4 cup uncooked penne pasta
- 1/3 cup sliced zucchini
- 1/3 cup sliced fresh carrot
- 4 medium fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 small green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano and thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped seeded tomato
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, saute the zucchini, carrot, mushrooms, green pepper, onion, garlic and seasonings in 1 teaspoon oil until crisp-tender. Stir in the beans.
- Drain pasta; add to vegetable mixture. Add tomato and remaining olive oil; toss gently. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and parsley.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 300 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 643mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 8g fiber), 14g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Originally published as Penne with Veggies 'N' Black Beans in Cooking for 2 Summer 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.