Penne with Veggies and Black Beans
Chock-full of zucchini, tomatoes, sweet pepper and carrots, this hearty pasta dish puts your garden harvest to good use. For variety, I sometimes add one-half cup of salsa or one-half cup of thickened teriyaki sauce. —Vickie Spoerle, Indianapolis, Indiana
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 3/4 cup uncooked penne pasta
- 1/3 cup sliced zucchini
- 1/3 cup sliced fresh carrot
- 4 medium fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 small green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano and thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped seeded tomato
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, saute the zucchini, carrot, mushrooms, green pepper, onion, garlic and seasonings in 1 teaspoon oil until crisp-tender. Stir in the beans.
- Drain pasta; add to vegetable mixture. Add tomato and remaining olive oil; toss gently. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and parsley.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 300 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 643mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 8g fiber), 14g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Penne with Veggies 'N' Black Beans in Cooking for 2 Summer 2009