Hearty Tomato-Olive Penne
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 pounds plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped (about 10 tomatoes)
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (16 ounces) uncooked penne pasta
- 1 block (24 ounces) Havarti cheese, cut into 1/2-in. cubes
- 1 cup pitted Greek olives
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, saute onions in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in tomatoes, broth, basil, pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 25-30 minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened.
- Meanwhile, cook penne according to package directions; drain.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Stir Havarti cheese, olives and cooked penne into the sauce. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Cover and bake 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 719 calories, 43g fat (19g saturated fat), 83mg cholesterol, 1082mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 5g fiber), 31g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 17, 2012
Delicious and light. I love the flavors of this recipe. They are perfect. However I tried to cheat with regular olives because they are cheaper and it was a wrong decision. Klamata olives are worth it
Apr 25, 2012
Very easy to make & just the right amount of everything. Nice little kick with the crushed red pepper flakes. My boyfriend said it was a keeper!