Hearty Garden Spaghetti
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, finely chopped
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces uncooked multigrain spaghetti
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, cook beef, onion and red pepper over medium-high heat 5-7 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain.
- Add zucchini and mushrooms; cook 3-5 minutes longer or until tender. Stir in tomato sauce and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to package directions.
- Serve spaghetti with sauce and, if desired, cheese.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups sauce with 1 cup spaghetti: 432 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 649mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 7g fiber), 36g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch, 2 vegetable.
Oct 8, 2017
Great flavor and easy!
Jun 30, 2016
Delicious!!! I, too, added some garlic. I chopped the veggies in the food processor. I had some leftover sauce and used it to top a meat pie!!!
Jun 13, 2016
We get tired of the same old spaghetti with meat sauce, so this recipe was a great find. We added garlic (a personal favorite) and used a can of pizza sauce (15 oz.)for a thick, rich sauce.
May 1, 2016
I love all of the veggies in here! I'd like a little more flavor, but it was very, very good with some leftover fresh basil I had in the fridge.
Apr 21, 2016
Love this spaghetti recipe! Gets my kids eating their veggies, and economical because it stretches one pound of ground beef so much farther. I added a summer squash, and also replaced the tomato sauce with a jar of Ragu. Delicious!
Mar 11, 2016
Is there a misprint in the directions? Should that be a larger size can of tomato sauce? I followed the directions explicitly, but it was far too dry. I'll try this recipe again but the next time I'll add more tomato sauce. The recipe is tasty and easy to make. Perhaps on the encore it will rate more stars.