Chicken and Sausage Penne
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) penne pasta
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 3/4 pound smoked Polish sausage or fully cooked bratwurst links, cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 jars (16 ounces each) Parmesan Alfredo sauce
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook the chicken, sausage, onion and red and green peppers in oil over medium heat for 6-8 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the Alfredo sauce, soup, pepper and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes. Stir in cheese. Drain pasta; add to chicken mixture and toss to coat.
- Serve desired amount immediately. Cool remaining mixture; transfer to freezer containers. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen pasta: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Transfer to a large skillet; cook and stir over medium heat for 10-12 minutes or until heated through.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 747 calories, 41g fat (19g saturated fat), 123mg cholesterol, 1375mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 37g protein.
Jul 14, 2017
I did not like the Parmesan Alfredo Sauce with this. Next time I will make my own.
Jan 16, 2017
I have made this dish many times. I tried it once with only ground beef and it wasn't as good.It makes so much that I can freeze half or give it to a friend. I love it. I also add extra cheeses as a topping and bake it for about 10 minutes in a hot oven. I have a salad as a side and garlic bread. wonderful quick dinner
Nov 18, 2016
There was WAY too much sauce using two jars of Alfredo, and we weren't crazy about the taste it gave the dish.......it overwhelmed all the other ingredients. I was going to give this recipe just two stars, but today I tasted the leftovers, and after everything mingled overnight, it actually had a better flavor.....the sausage came through adding a nice smokiness to the dish. I think it's basically a pretty good recipe with the problem being the jarred "Alfredo" sauce. I've never cared much for the commercial stuff, and if I we were to make this again I'd make my own sauce - there are recipes out there for Alfredo sauces that are lighter than the heavy fat kind and still have a great taste.
Aug 23, 2015
Amazing! I used 2 chicken breasts and 3 brats (Johnsonville brand) in this dish. The brats gave it a little kick. So good.--I couldn't stop eating it! :) I put the sauce over the top of the pasta which was already on the plate, so that way I could regulate how much sauce I had with the pasta.
Aug 4, 2012
This was very good and easy to make. I think I will leave out the sausage next time. The sausage gave it a little bit of an unusual flavor.
Jul 29, 2012
Yummy! I've made this twice - I only used 1 jar of alfredo sauce and I made the recipe the night before and then baked it at 350 degrees for 40 minutes (covered).
Jul 18, 2012
Very Good. I wll make again. Next time I will have my Meat and vegetables all chopped and ready to go!! It will go a lot faster. I only had CoJack cheese,but it worked well!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.