Italian Chicken and Penne
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 8 ounces uncooked penne pasta
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 small green pepper, julienned
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup halved cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 can (8 ounces) pizza sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/3 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. In a nonstick wok, stir-fry the chicken, pepper, onion and garlic in oil until chicken is no longer pink. Add the pasta, mushrooms, tomatoes, sauce and seasoning; heat through. Remove from heat. Sprinkle with cheese; let stand until melted.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 288 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 96mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 7, 2019
Super easy to make and delicious! My kids went back for seconds. I used marinara sauce instead of pizza sauce to skip the Italian seasoning. Definitely will be making it again.
Jan 20, 2013
This is a go to recipe for me. Filling and so good! I don't always use the mushrooms and usually skip the italian seasoning. Love this recipe!
Sep 2, 2010
I used whole wheat pasta, and the whole family enjoyed it! My daughter even asked to pack it in her school lunch the next day :)
Jul 15, 2010
I used diced tomatoes (canned) and skipped the mushrooms.Everyone in my family gave it a so-so reaction. I thought it was bland. So I agree with keverwann. I won' be fixing it again.
Jan 6, 2010
This was okay, but we have had much better, just as easy pasta dishes.