Roasted Pepper Chicken Penne
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 package (16 ounces) penne pasta
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup julienned roasted sweet red peppers
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Place chicken in a large resealable plastic bag; add vinegar. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil for 1 minute. Drain and discard vinegar. Add chicken to skillet; cook for 4-5 minutes or until meat is no longer pink.
- Stir in the tomatoes, red peppers, broth, Italian seasoning and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 4-5 minutes or until heated through. Drain pasta; toss with chicken mixture. Sprinkle with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 424 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 641mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 25g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 27, 2017
This dish was good. I added some red pepper flakes to give it a bit of a kick. I also melted some fresh mozzarella on top.
Mar 1, 2017
My husband and I really liked this dish. I do see where others say this is bland by following the recipe as stated. The sauce definitely needs to cook longer than stated to develop more flavor, at least 15-20 minutes of simmering. Also don't toss out the extra balsamic. It will enhance the flavor by using it all, when browning the chicken. I did have to add a bit more seasoning to taste and added a dash of red pepper flakes. But overall this was a nice flavorful dish. It was really good with wheat pasta to make it healthier. Serve with a nice crusty bread to dip in the extra sauce and a salad for a nice dinner. Thank you for the recipe! I will make again!
Sep 19, 2013
This was good with the additional ingredients of red pepper & garlic powder. I even doused it with sirracha on my own plate for added flavor. I can see how people would find this bland. Not sure how it was a contest winner. The child picked out all the roasted pepper. For adults, this may join the 5 star rank with some Kalamata olives.
Aug 18, 2009
It seemed to be missing something. Bland.
Jun 23, 2009
Delicious!!!! I was soo pleased with this meal! Second time I made it I added some artichoke hearts ... YUMM!This is definately a keeper!
May 14, 2009
we added mushrooms to the recipe, and it is one of our favorites!
Sep 19, 2008
This dish was good but needed something to give it a litle zip. Next time I'll try the above suggestions with red pepper flakes and pepper.