Roasted Chicken with Veggies
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 6 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 celery ribs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 medium baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Preheat oven to 375°. Place chicken, breast side up, in a 14-in. cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet. Rub with oil; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. If desired, tie legs together with baker's twine. Bake, uncovered, 1 hour.
- Arrange the carrots, celery, potatoes and onions around chicken. Combine butter and thyme; drizzle over chicken and vegetables. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Cover and bake until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175° and vegetables are tender, 30-45 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1/4 pound: 329 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 80mg cholesterol, 187mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 5g fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch.
Apr 28, 2013
I added garlic powder, onion salt and paprika on the chicken for some extra flavor. The chicken was very moist and vegetables delectable!
Jul 14, 2012
The veggies were delicious, but the chicken was sort of blah. It will go great in dishes made from leftovers, though! Still, it was easy and cheap, a big win in my book.
May 29, 2011
Very good, I added about an inch of water to the bottom so veggies would not dry out. This was very good supper, served w/ (TOH recipe), cornbread dressing.
Jan 10, 2011
Delicious! The chicken was very moist. I sprinkled garlic powder on chicken and vegtables too!
Jan 20, 2010
Delicious! My chicken was a bit larger, 4.5 lbs...therefore I cooked it about 20 minutes longer and added a little more to the butter and tyme mixture. Spinkled paprika , garlic and onion powder over the chicken which added a nice subtle kick. I will be making this recipe again!