Roast Spiced Chicken
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours + standing
- 3 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 roasting chicken (6 to 7 pounds)
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a small bowl, mix the first five ingredients. In a small saucepan, melt butter; stir in lemon juice, mustard, paprika and garlic salt. Keep warm.
- Sprinkle half of the thyme mixture inside chicken. Place chicken on a rack in a shallow roasting pan, breast side up. Tuck wings under chicken; tie drumsticks together.
- Brush outside of chicken with 1/2 cup butter mixture; sprinkle with remaining thyme mixture. Roast 1 hour, basting every 15 minutes with remaining butter mixture. (Cover loosely with foil if chicken browns too quickly.)
- Roast 30-60 minutes longer or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°. Remove chicken from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before carving.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 390 calories, 27g fat (11g saturated fat), 132mg cholesterol, 918mg sodium, 2g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 33g protein.
Mar 5, 2019
My oldest son picked this recipe for his night to cook, and so glad he did! This was so good! We used chicken quarters, and placed the seasoning on the chicken and let it sit in the fridge for about 4 hours. This was so good, and the kids ate all of it!
Feb 18, 2016
Great recipe! I didn't sprinkle enough inside and may not have used enough salt, but the meat was moist and flavorable.
Sep 23, 2015
It was delicious.
Sep 16, 2015
This was delicious! I make new recipes every week and only the best of the best get saved. I do not keep most, but this one is. a definite keeper. There is a reason why this family has been making it for 50 years.I used only 1/2 of the rub and made only 1/2 of the butter part of the marinade and it was plenty. No need for gravy with this recipe, the au jus is perfect.