Chili-Spiced Chicken Breasts
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons water
- Combine the first five ingredients; rub over chicken. In a nonstick skillet, brown chicken in oil on both sides. Add onions, jalapeno and garlic; saute for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Remove chicken and keep warm.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into tomato mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until slightly thickened.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 166 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 526mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 27g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Jun 8, 2010
Nice flavor, not too spicy, easy to make
Oct 3, 2009
I didn't have jalapeno peppers so I used a 4 oz can of green chili peppers and added a can of black beans. Delicious.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.